Did you know that there is a whole other aspect to skin nutrition that goes beyond the surface level? As it happens, some of the latest and greatest skincare technology these days isn’t topical products but vitamins and other nutritional supplements that work to address the skin on a cellular level - essentially transforming it from the inside out. But can these new innovations replace your favorite vitamin C serum? Not exactly. Here’s what you need to know:
The benefits of supplementing for your skin
The theory behind ingesting vitamins for your skin health is that supplementation can help make up for nutritional deficiencies and other imbalances in the body that affect the skin. Experts say when your diet is lacking certain nutrients, it can manifest a number of ways including acne, dull skin, dry skin, or increased sensitivity to sun exposure. While you should always first consult with your health care professional about your specific dietary needs, studies have shown that vitamins and other supplements designed to support the skin can be very effective. The trick is knowing which components are truly beneficial and which to skip.
Worth the Splurge: Supplements we love for skin support
● Collagen - Collagen production is a vital skin function that slows as we age. However, studies show that consuming collagen supplements can help boost hydration levels, reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, and even promote the production of important proteins that support collagen synthesis.
● Vitamin A - Vitamin A is amazing for skin protection and overall skin health. Experts believe that taking a vitamin A supplement has the potential to fight acne, and can even lower your risk of sun damage and certain skin cancers.
● Vitamin D - Vitamin D is known to boost the skin’s metabolism, aiding in cellular repair and better skin immunity. It can also help in the fight against free radical damage, which can cause the skin to age prematurely.
● Probiotics & Gut Health Support - Because so much of skin health is tied to gut health, a good probiotic or other gut health-promoting supplement is key. By balancing gut flora and restoring internal wellness, science has found that you can reduce acne outbreaks and slow aging in the skin.
What about vitamins in your products?
With all the buzz around vitamin supplements you may be wondering if you still need to apply vitamin-rich skincare products topically. The answer is yes. According to dermatologists, while taking a vitamin supplement has benefits for the whole body, they lack the ability to directly target the skin. Therefore, applying products directly to the skin is still one of the most effective ways to specifically address most skin conditions. Topical application of ingredients allows for a more potent concentration of antioxidants and other active components that can affect change in the skin. Cosmetic formulations ensure that these ingredients are delivered directly to the area in question and work deep within the skin tissue to heal and repair.
Topicals to know and love
● Vitamin A - Retinols and other retinoid ingredients are derived from Vitamin A which is naturally rejuvenating and promotes more youthful turnover in the skin. We love Vitamin A for improving acneic, aging or dull skin.
● Vitamin B - Often spotted in your skincare under the name Vitamin B-5 or Niacinamide, Vitamin B is anti-inflammatory and aids in skin healing. It makes a great choice for improving discoloration and overall skin health.
● Vitamin C - Perhaps one of the most important ingredients in topical skincare, Vitamin C is brightening, immune-boosting and helps fight free radical damage. It is also known to boost collagen synthesis for plumper, more glowing skin.
Other important things to know
When choosing a skin supplement or topical product, ingredients matter. We recommend looking for high-quality formulas from brands you trust. For the best of skin health support and clean, effective supplements that get results, we love brands like OSKIA, Moon Juice and The Nue Co. which use only the best natural, functional ingredients and are designed to take your skin to the next level.